- Polar, aprotic solvent in a variety of organic reactions, such as SN2 reactions.
- Acetone solvent is critical for the Jones oxidation. It does not form an azeotrope with water (see azeotrope (data)).
- Rinsing laboratory glassware because of its low cost and volatility.
- Conduct reactions at low temperatures.
- Fluorescent tracer in fluid flow experiments.
- Component in food additives and food packaging.
- Chemical peeling.
- Cleaning agents such as nail polish remover, also used as an artistic agent;
- Combination with automatic transmission fluid to create an effective penetrating oil.
- People in the 3d printing community to smooth out printing artifacts on models printed using ABS plastic.